Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Scientology and the Annoyingness of Tom Cruise

Up until the last few months, I was really relatively indifferent to Tom Cruise, but ever since he and Katie Holmes started going out I think he's probably the lamest guy on the face of the earth. Every time I see his face I just want to-I don't know, kick it or something. To be fair, this probably has a lot to do with my feelings about May-September relationships. After having been in a disastrous one, I don't approve. It's just kinda gross to be closer in age to your boyfriend's kids than to him. Ugh. Anyway, I think he's really close-minded. I agree that drugs are prescribed more frequently than they need to be, but some people actually do need them. I loved Brooke Shield's retort-"I'm pretty sure that he has never suffered from post-partum depression".
As far as Scientology goes, it's my opinion that most Scientologists are lured in because it sounds like it's about science. Ooh, smart people get involved in this. I wanna be in the smart kids' group. Jamie's dad is a Scientologist, and I've talked to some of the "members" on the phone; IMHO it's just another cult. They just call church "events", and you have to pay to get in (because you're taking "classes"). I knew that J's dad wasn't all that excited about therapy or medication (J and his brothers are EXTREMELY ADHD), but I thought it was just a personal thing. Then I read about Scientology on the Internet and discovered that it's part of the religion. So THAT'S why J's mom is always telling me not to tell his dad what I'm studying. :) Ultimately, Scientologists don't bother me anymore than anyone from any other religion who tries to preach at me. My feeling is, if I'm interested, I'll call you. There's nothing more off-putting than someone showing up unexpectedly at my front door or calling me randomly.
Sorry about that little rant. It's something that's been on my mind lately anyway. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home