Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Anastasia

I'm reading (yet another) book about the whole Anna Anderson/Anastasia Romanov mystery. I've read a lot about it, because unsolved mysteries tend to bother me a whole bunch, so I do as much research as I can to figure it out for myself. The thing that I find most interesting is that all of her biographers start out assuming that she was a fraud, and the more research they do, the more they're convinced that she was the real thing. I think she was. There's too much information that she had that no one else possibly could have known, not to mention all of the physical similarities. They did this ear test at one point; they check 17 points on the ear against a picture, and if you have 8 (I think?) that are the same, that proves you're the person in question. Anna Anderson had 12 matching points to a picture they had of Anastasia as a little girl. The other really interesting thing I found was that, according to Anna Anderson, Alexandra actually had six children; in between Anastasia and Alexis there was another daughter who was adopted. There was a lot of turmoil going on in Russia at the time, and Nicholas and Alexandra knew they needed to have a boy (someone to take over the throne), so they never even told anyone that Alexandra was pregnant, and when the baby was born, they sent her in secrecy to this farmer and his family.
And yes, I really liked the animated movie version that came out a few years ago. :) Not really historically accurate, but fun, and the songs were awesome.

2 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger nikki the red said...

i don't know much about it, but it's always intrigued me. i'm the same way with real-life mysteries. is there a particular book you enjoyed reading about her? i'd like to check one out from the library.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Anna said...

The one I'm reading right now is called Anastasia: The Riddle of Anna Anderson, by Peter Kurth. It's good, but pretty hefty. The first one I read was called Anastasia, by James Blair Lovell, and that one I liked a lot. He actually met Anna Anderson and became friends with her, so it's a first-hand perspective.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home